A succulent slow cooker pot roast recipe with carrots, potatoes, and onion
What You’ll Need…
- 1 three pound well marbled beef chuck roast1
- 5 Potatoes
- 1 Large onion 2
- 1 Pound of carrots
- 32 Ounces (4 cups) of beef stock
- ½ teaspoon of onion powder
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- Salt & Pepper to taste
1. I believe that having a bit of fat in any dish enhances the flavor. However, if you are restricting your fats, choosing a leaner cut of meat will serve you just fine.
2. I always use sweet onions, but any type will do.
Peel and quarter your potatoes and onion.
Peel your carrots and cut them into chunks, all about the same size.
(optional) I always sear the roast in a frying pan before loading it into my cooker. I don’t know that it really matters, but that’s the way my mother always did it, so I do it that way, as well.
Place your chuck roast in your slow cooker first (important!), then follow with the vegetables. Spread the seasonings around the entire cooker, then add your beef stock. The liquid must cover everything, so just add water if you need to.
* II use a 6.5 quart Chefman Slow Cooker and the heat level on the high setting is a bit hotter than on some other makes. Having said that, this dish takes about 5 hours in my cooker. Your cooking time may vary, but you’ll know everything is done when the roast “falls apart” when poked with a fork.
Feeds 6-8 people…
If you love using your slow cooker even nearly as much as I do, you really should check out The Crock Pot Girls website where they have a 500 recipe slow cooker cookbook available.
I have it and, although I haven’t made anything close to all of their recipes, the ones that I have tried were delicious.
To check it out for yourself >> Click Here…